If you let the rainy weather scare you away, you missed a great time on Sunday when the DeafBlind Camp of Maryland hosted the Spring Fling. Over one- hundred and fifty people came out for a fun afternoon.
Since the skies were pouring in the morning, the committee decided to move all activities inside. Fortunately, our partners at West River Methodist Camping Center had two wonderful buildings to host this event, so everything fit nicely indoors.
Kids of all ages delighted in making crafts and playing carnival games like ring toss, marble grab, and Skee ball. There was a talented balloon animal maker, and two terrific face painters. One guest in her 80s said she had never had her face painted, so she got two lovely hearts painted on her cheek.
A crowd favorite was the four legged friends from Canine Companions. These furry fellows were more than happy to frolic with everyone on the floor.
The second building housed a pay-what- you-want book sale, with hundreds of books for the taking. This room also had games like Giant Jenga and Connect Four, and an exciting BINGO game with prizes occurred in the afternoon.
Food was served throughout the day. Our food angels made sure that food was hot and available throughout the event. Everyone was thrilled with the quality and variety of the meal.
Since the rain stopped by afternoon, many people went canoeing. One man, Paul, said this brought back memories of his days as a boy scout. He was out on the water a really long time.
The highlight of the day was a special performance by the choir from Christ Deaf
United Methodist Church. Their Signed interpretation of hymns brought many to tears. Thanks to the wonderful interpreters, Deaf, DeafBlind, and hearing guests were able to enjoy the performance equally.
The day concluded with Scott Stoffel choosing the raffle winner. Yvonne Tuttle was the lucky winner of the 50/50 raffle. Congratulations Yvonne. It takes a lot of people to make an event like this run smoothly, and there are too many to name here. But please, check out below for a full list of people who sponsored games and activities. Without all of our friends, the Spring Fling could not have happened.
Thank you from the Spring Fling Planning Committee
Spring Fling Event Information
Sunday, May 1st, 2016
2 pm – 7 pm
Performance by Christ Deaf UMC
West River United Methodist Camp Center
5100 Chalk Point Road
West River, MD 20778
3 – 11 years : $5
12 and above : $25
(Kids comes free with 2 paid adults tickets)
50/50 Raffle Tickets
Winner of $605 went to Yvonne Tuttle. Congratulations!
Activities and Sponsorship
Interested in sponsoring an activity, email us at [email protected]
- ASL/Deaf Culture Book Sale sponsored by DeafBlind Camp of Maryland
- Balloon Animal Making sponsored by Brenda Davis
- Bingo sponsored by DeafBlind Camp of Maryland
- 4 pm
- Cake Walk sponsored by Towson ASL Club
- Can Punch sponsored by Elders Baptist Church
- Canoeing sponsored by West River United Methodist Center
- 3 pm – 5 pm
- Climbing sponsored by West River United Methodist Center
- 4 pm – 6 pm
- Cotton Candy sponsored by Tactile Carnival
- Craft Corner sponsored by Franconia UMC Youth
- Face Painting sponsored by Mindy Frankel/li>
- DeafBlind Merchandise sponsored by DeafBlind Camp of Maryland
- Giant JENGA sponsored by West River United Methodist Center
- Hay Ride sponsored by Anne Arundel Lions
- 2 pm – 4 pm
- Hearing Dogs sponsored by Canine Companions
- Hiking sponsored by West River United Methodist Center
- Marble Grab sponsored by Centralized Interpreter Referral Service (CIRS)
- Performance sponsored by Christ Deaf UMC
- 5 pm
- Ping Pong Toss sponsored by Eldersburg Church
- Raffle Drawing sponsored by DeafBlind Camp of Maryland
- 6 pm
- Ring Toss sponsored by Eldersburg Church
- Skee Ball sponsored by Tactile Carnival
- Silent Meadow sponsored by Rick Szynkowski
- Spin Art sponsored by DeafBlind Camp of Maryland
- Tours sponsored by West River United Methodist Center
- Touch Tetris sponsored by Tactile Carnival
- and more!